NTC Latest Financial Accounts and Report for the Year Ended 31 March 2014
This is what we did in 2014:
During the year, the Company staged 3 small tours of two plays; in the spring it toured a new play by Stewart Howson, ‘Rallying Round’, this was retoured to a larger audience in the autumn and for Christmas ‘Once Upon a Time in the North’, a new play written by a new writer, our Finance Manager. The audience and critical response to these productions was excellent:
"One of the region’s busiest and best loved theatre companies, surviving on a wave of public support and sheer hard work has a solid reputation nationally. Gillian Hambleton NTC’s innovative and energetic director presents an evening of imaginative storytelling."
David Whetstone (The Newcastle Journal)
"A joyous two-hander, a rollicking journey of mishaps and misunderstandings. A first class evening of entertainment with emotion and enlightenment thrown in."
- 100% of the Company’s work was new writing.
- The Company employed 45 actor weeks in rehearsal and performance. 100% of actors were locally based.
- The Company provided 9 weeks of employment for technical and production staff, 80% of whom were locally based.
- There were the equivalent of 1.8 full-time staff, comprising Artistic Director, Tours Manager, Design Management Associate and Finance Manager.
- The Company gave a total of 38 performances, of which 90% were in the Northern region. The total audience was 2,600.
- Over 114 volunteer venue promoters supported the company over the 2 shows.
Judy Steel (writer)
The money we received:
How we spent it:
This is where the reality of our situation hit home, we succeeded in raising £53,475 (2013 - £152,164) for core and show costs. We are reviewing how this might be improved. Unfortunately projects submitted to the Arts Council were recommended but insufficient funds were found to be available, others were just not recommended with little explanation. The nature of our work which is to provide theatre to smaller audiences inevitably struggles to compete with larger projects and audiences. As we still believe that Great Art should be for Everyone, we are seeking funding from local trusts and foundations where possible to support these audiences.
We are delighted to be part of the Catalyst project funded by the Arts Council for 2013 – 2015 whereby they are giving an extra 38.5p per £ of monies we raise from both donors and trusts and foundations. Along with gift aid, for which we are also registered, a donation of £1,000 can become a donation of £1,635.
To see the full directors report click here Report of the Directors
You can view our 2014 accounts
All about NTC
A day in the life of an NTC actor
In support of touring theatre
Traineeship with NTC
A Journey with the Gallows [PDF]
Read more about out theatre company at About NTC
and the latest news
We found the Charity Commission
website and their online publications invaluable in the production of these accounts.